It is the cornerstone of Ayurvedic management of disease, a detoxification therapy which re-establishes the ideal balance of 'Tridosha' by eliminating vitiated doshas in the body. It is good not only for alleviating disease but also promotes health by improving digestion and metabolism and delivering supplements to nourish tissues.
The main benefits derived from Panchkarma:
Cleanses and rejuvenates the body
Improves digestion and assimilation
Strengthens the immune system
Relieves physical and mental stress
Delays aging, enhances complexion
Reduces dependence on medication
1. Vamana – is the therapeutic induction of vomiting to remove vitiated Kapha to treat diseases like obesity, allergic sinusitis and skin diseases, diabetes, hypothyroidism, hay fever etc.
2. Virechana - is therapeutic controlled purgation that removes excess Pitta dosha. It is effective in acidity, chronic headache, asthma, liver disorders, gout, psoriasis and other chronic skin diseases.
3. Niruha basti- is the administration of herbal decoction as medicated enema.
4. Anuvasana basti- is the administration of herbal oils as medicated enema. Considered as the mother of all treatments, Basti cleanses the accumulated toxins from all the three doshas, specially the Vata dosha through the colon. It is beneficial in arthritis, sciatica, spondylitis, paralysis, colitis, infertility, PCOD and chronic digestive disorder.
5. Nasya- is the instillation of medicated oil, ghee or other herbs into the nostrils. It cleanses and eliminates the toxins from the head region and keeps the sense organs healthy. It is an effective treatment for hair fall and premature graying of hair, sinusitis, facial paralysis, headache, anxiety, depression etc